We love Football Season (yes we capitalized that on purpose) here at Road Adventures and our love of tailgating definitely has something to do with it. Fall, friends, food, and football – all things we can get behind.
So we wanted to share some of our favorite tailgating recipes throughout the season. And feel free to send us some of yours and we will post them too! (As long as you don’t mind sharing!)
First up: tailgate breakfast. Typically you’re setting up your tailgate early, even if the game doesn’t start until later, so it’s important to get a filling breakfast that’s fast and easy to eat with one hand so you can set up your corn hole boards.
The best part is that these burritos can be made the night before, wrapped in aluminum foil and stored in the fridge over night. A quick reheat either in a Crock Pot, an RV oven or on a very low heat grill and you’ve got the perfect tailgate breakfast in the morning!
And most importantly – you can rent our RVs for your own tailgate! (We’ve got the perfect SCARLET colored RV too). Visit our site to see the availability for each one of our units or give us a call for more details.
The Ultimate Breakfast Burrito
Yield: 6 burritos
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Bake Time: 25 mins
2 tbsp butter
1 cup hashbrown potatoes – either shredded or cubed works best
½ cup cooked chorizo (or regular breakfast sausage or 2 slices of cooked bacon)
1/3 cup heavy cream (or milk)
pinch of chili powder
pinch of black pepper
½ tsp of salt
¼ cup chopped sweet yellow or white onion
¼ cup finely chopped green or red bell pepper
1 4.5 oz can of diced green chile peppers, drained
6 10 inch flour tortillas
Red or green salsa
Pickled red onion
Shredded cheese or crumbled queso fresco
- In a medium nonstick skillet, melt the 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Stir in hash browns. Spread in an even layer; press down lightly with spatula. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom. Turn hash browns over with a spatula. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes more or until golden brown and crisp (turn potatoes as necessary for even browning). Stir in chorizo; heat through. Set aside; keep warm.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy cream, salt , pepper and chili powder. In a large skillet, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat; add onion and bell pepper. Cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender. Pour in egg mixture. Cook over medium heat, and stir with a spatula until eggs are scrambled to your liking. Remove from heat.
- Wrap tortillas in paper towels and microwave for 45 seconds or until heated through.
- Divide potato mixture evenly among tortillas, placing just below the center of each tortilla. Using a slotted spoon, top each with some of the egg mixture.
- Top with chilies, cheese, salsa, hot sauce and pickled red onion. For each tortilla, fold bottom edge up and over the filling. Fold opposite sides in. Roll up from bottom. Wrap each burrito in aluminum foil.
- Tailgate reheating options: place the burritos in a Crock Pot set at 200 degrees and let burritos warm through before serving. They can also be put on the top rack of a low-heat grill in the aluminum foil to heat through as well. Or, if you have an oven on your RV, let them sit in a 200 degree oven until they’re warmed through and then serve.
- Serve with sour cream, guacamole and extra salsa and hot sauce.